Pam needed to give her gardener the approximate square footage of her backyard. With each step being about 2 feet, Pam steps it off and counts 20 steps long and 40 steps wide. About how many square feet is the backyard?
A. 120 square feet
B. 800 square feet
C. 400 square feet
D. 200 square feet
2. 20 Points A wall is 300 square feet. A gallon of paint covers 110 square feet. What is an appropriate conversion factor to help determine how many gallons of paint will be needed to paint the wall?
A. 500 square feet/110 square feet
B. 1 gallon/110 square feet
C. 500 square feet/1 gallon
D. 500 square feet/300 square feet
3. Dana is attaching a shelf to a wall and needs the shelf to be parallel to the floor. How many degrees should the shelf be relative to the floor?
A. 0 degrees
B. 90 degrees
C. 180 degrees
D. 45 degrees
4. Mo is on a baseball team and hears that a ball thrown at a 45-degree angle from the ground will travel the furthest distance. How should Mo release the ball for the furthest travel distance?
A. About halfway between straight ahead and straight up
B. Just slightly up from straight ahead
C. Straight ahead
D. Almost straight up
5. A circular garden has a diameter of 10 feet. Approximately how much edging trim is needed to surround the garden by placing the trim all along the garden’s circumference?
A. 31 feet
B. 23 feet
C. 10 feet
D. 15 feet
6. A house is on a 60,000-squarefoot lot. Rounded to the nearest tenth, approximately how many acres are in the lot?
Note: There are 43,560 square feet in an acre.
A. 1.4 acres
B. 1.0 acres
C. 1.3 acres
D. 1.7 acres
7. A self-storage center has many storage rooms that are 6 feet wide, 10 feet deep, and 12 feet high. What is the volume of the room?
A. 720 cubic feet
B. 192 cubic feet
C. 600 cubic feet
D. 120 cubic feet
8. A new company president is said to have caused the company “to do a 180.” Before the new president, the company was losing $10,000 per month. What is the company most likely doing under the new president?
A. Earning a $10,000 profit per month
B. Losing $5,000 per month
C. Breaking even
D. Earning a $20,000 profit per month
9. A box is 36 inches long,18 inches wide, and 6 inches deep. How many cubic feet are in the box?
A. 4.5 cubic feet
B. 2.25 cubic feet
C. 3 cubic feet
D. 5 cubic feet
10. Nik needs to estimate how many books will fit in a bin. Each book is 0.75 feet tall, 0.75 feet wide, and 0.25 feet thick. The bin is 4 feet wide, 4 feet tall, and 4 feet deep. Based on volume only, about how many books will fit in the bin?
A. 37 books
B. 175 books
C. 85 books
D. 455 books