For this benchmark assignment, you will complete a summative course assessment consisting of one essay question based on a case study.
Consider the following scenario:
Several students in your fifth grade class are disengaged during math instruction and discussions. One student has a Section 504 plan and receives accommodations for his ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), one student has dyslexia and is on an IEP (Individualized Education Program) and receives special education services and supports for a Specific Learning Disability(SLD), one student has an IEP for visual impairment, and one student is an English Language Learner (ELL), preventing their understanding of instructional material.
Citing major concepts, principles, and theories, write a 750-1,000 word essay in which you describe instructional strategies along with the differentiation you would implement that would encourage them to participate and develop more confidence in their abilities.
In your essay, include:
- Strategies that support engagement in the class as a whole, the role of language, and readiness of learning, based on the theories learned in class.
- How you would modify instruction by applying the concepts and theories related to development (cognitive, linguistic, social, emotional, and physical).
- How you will create developmentally appropriate instruction that takes into consideration the students’ strengths, differences, interests, and needs.
- Strategies that can be implemented for motivation and acquisition of knowledge.
- Strategies to provide equitable access for all students to appropriate digital tools and resources.
Support your findings with a minimum of 3-5 scholarly resources.