Culture is a vast and continually evolving field, one that helps to define identity, and that finds expression through performance in a variety of forms, including visual art, music, theater, photography, cinema, fashion, and dance.
Culture is Expressed in a Variety of Forms in the Fine Arts
Answer the Followng Questions in 5-7 sentences each. You must use at least 2 examples from the lessons above in each question.
- What is culture and how is it connected to identity?
- Can you belong to an Identity but not practice it’s culture? Explain why someone would make this choice. What are the positives and negatives of this choice?
- People of Color in the U.S have a hard time connecting to their culture, why do you think this is?
- Are you familiar with art from your culture? What are some art or entertainment forms that you engage with from your culture(s)? Why do you think this is important?
- In Detail, describe the art of Kehinde Wiley.
- Why is the art of Kehinde Wiley important and how might it be important to black identity in the U.S?
- How is Hip Hop connected to black culture?
- How are Indigenous/Native American folks using Hip Hop and why?
- How is Hip Hop a culture?
- Why was Black Panther Important?