STEP 1: REVIEW
If you have not already, please look at the Essay 3 Prompt as well as the Choosing a Research Paper Topic lecture. Think: What does your paper have to be about?
STEP 1: BRAINSTORM
Once you have read through the topic, answer the following questions:
- What do you want to write about? Write down three possible topics you are considering for this essay.
- What do you already know about the three topics you listed?
- What questions do you still have about the three topics you listed (questions you can answer through your research)?
- Who might be the intended audience of your paper (think bigger than your English teacher)? Who would you be trying to convince of your argument? How will the audience influence your research and or writing?
- Do you think that the topics are narrowed enough? Can you provide a well-developed argument on these topics in 6-8 pages? How might you narrow them down further (based on the Choosing a Research Paper Topic lecture)
Note: You may also find it useful to review the Lecture: Researched Arguments and Understanding Your Assignment.