The World Health Organization is focused on the following goal by 2030.
“There is a global commitment to achieve Universal Health Coverage (UHC). When all 193 Member States of the United Nations (UN) agreed on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in New York in 2015, they set out an ambitious agenda for a safer, fairer and healthier world by 2030. The goals include a broad array of targets across different sectors. The target to achieve UHC is a beacon of hope for a healthier world. “1
From the following site, read the section titled Universal health coverage (Overview, WHO’s role, 2030 Agenda for SDG’s) and watch the quick video below titled Universal health coverage – what does it mean? Or us embedded link
https://www.who.int/health_financing/universal_coverage_definition/en/ (Links to an external site.)
WHO Universal Health Coverage – What does it mean? (Links to an external site.)
Read the following article:
https://www.thebalance.com/universal-health-care-4156211 (Links to an external site.)
http://thepatientfactor.com/canadian-health-care-information/world-health-organizations-ranking-of-the-worlds-health-systems/comment-page-1/#comment-45996 (Links to an external site.)
Answer the following questions:
- What does universal health coverage mean? What year did the demand for universal health care begin?
- What are three (3) advantages to universal health care? What are three (3) disadvantaged to universal health care?
- What are the three (3) types of Universal Health Care plans/models?
- Which country described in the article embodies the best universal health care solution in your opinion and why?
- Review the Universal Health Care Comparison Chart and the Ranking Link above – What is the WHO ranking for the US? Does the ranking surprise you?