Assignment: Improving Cloud Security
Outcomes addressed in this activity:
- Discover technical scenarios related to wireless, mobile, and cloud infrastructures.
- Identify mitigation techniques specific to cloud computing.
IT545-3: Analyze scenarios related to wireless, mobile, and cloud infrastructures, as well as disruptive technologies, to determine cybersecurity strategies.
The purpose of this assignment is for you to engage in defining a mitigation strategy for a web server attack from within a cloud-based WAN. You will apply biometrics or cryptography as part of the solution.
- You must complete the Unit 5 lab before completing this assignment.
- You are a cybersecurity specialist working for an online retail organization that houses their network and all servers and data in the cloud. The CEO is concerned about the web servers being hacked since they are public facing, and if they are hacked, possible access gained to sensitive customer and employee data. Assume the attack to be similar to the one performed in your lab. For this assignment, make the following assumptions:
- The organization has an outward facing website that allows customers to view and purchase their products. The web server housing this website is in the organization’s demilitarized zone (DMZ). The DMZ uses a single firewall system. Users place orders and pay using PayPal or a credit card.
- Other servers on the cloud-based network house several databases. One holds all customer personal and sensitive information. The second database holds employee personal and sensitive information. There is some encryption of these databases for data at rest, but not for data in transit and data in use (while data is being processed).
- Also, on the internal network are an email server, print servers, and application servers.
- Discuss potential vulnerabilities in this system.
- Discuss in more detail the following:
- Biometric Authentication
- Discuss biometric-based authentication types that are relevant in this cloud-based system
- Select a type of biometric-based authentication you would recommend for this system and justify your recommendation
- Addition of Encryption for data in transit and data in use (while processed)
- Discuss why there is an emerging need for encrypting data in use in a cloud environment.
- Provide a description of homomorphic encryption and provide a justification as to why it should be deployed in this scenario to protect data in use.
- Biometric Authentication
- Conclusion Paragraph
The paper should be 2–3 pages, use 12 pt. Times New Roman, and be in APA format.
For more information on APA style formatting, refer to the resources in the Academic Tools area of this course.
Also review the university policy on plagiarism. If you have any questions, please contact your professor.