CONCERT REVIEW #2
BOTH CONCERTS MUST BE “FORMAL”
No stadium/festival concerts or concerts featuring pop artists (EDM, pop rock, hip hop, modern country, etc). Music should reflect the course’s content.
Appropriate genres include:
- traditional jazz
- symphony orchestra
- chamber music (like a string quartet or piano recital)
- “world” music (i.e. Japanese classical, Indonesian gamelan, etc), experimental, etc.
- Pop, rock, hip hop, reggae, and other popular style concerts, and outdoor, cafe/restaurant performances are NOT acceptable (with the exception of pop concerts on the Cuyamaca College Performing Arts Concert Series).
IN PERSON CONCERTS MUST BE PRE-APPROVED BY THE INSTRUCTOR!
THE WRITTEN REVIEW
1. Provide 1-2 paragraphs describing the concert you attended and the music performed in formal, academic language.
2. Give TITLES of pieces/songs and GENRE or type of music played (jazz, baroque, opera, romantic, etc).
3. Give the HISTORY of the music played.
4. What instruments were played?
5. Write about the performers themselves: where are they from, what is their background, what do they play?
6. What is your own response to the performance and the music? Like it? Love it or Hate it? Why?
7. Write about the substance of the performance and the music and your response to it ONLY. (I don’t need to know what you had for dinner or how traffic was getting to the venue.)
Concerts to Stream
Choose from these videos to review for your Concert Reviews #1 &2. Make sure you watch a minimum of 40 minutes by combining videos. Please do your best to figure out the name of the piece and the composer! All of these YouTube concerts are acceptable for your Concert Reviews. Email if you have questions.
LA PHILHARMONIC: DUDAMEL CONDUCTING (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!)
AMAZING LARGE ENSEMBLE MUSIC
Order an Essay Now & Get These Features For Free: