Discussion Board 1
Discussion Board 1 Initial Topic
Your response is to be based only after reviewing Lesson 1 and the assigned readings listed in the lesson, in particular the Lesson 1: Chapter 15 Readings. REFER TO SPECIFIC SOURCES WHEN MAKING CLAIMS! THIS IS KEY!
Initial Topic Post
YOUR TASK: Carefully analyze “1492: The Prequel” by Nicolas D. Kristof in the Reilly textbook pp. 514-527. Produce an analytic summary about 2 paragraphs in length by reflecting on the following critical thinking questions:
- What is Kristof’s purpose for writing this article?
- What are Kristof’s key question(s)?
- What is Kristof’s main conclusions, or main arguments?
- What is Kristof’s most important evidence used to support his conclusions? Include about 3-5 pieces of evidence. Avoid using quotes; paraphrase instead. However, include page #’s.
- What might be some of Kristof’s main assumptions?
- What is Kristof’s frame of reference, or perspective, or bias (this does not always mean a negative thing)?
Here is how you would cite the essay by Kristof in the Reilly textbook for your discussion post:
1 Nicholas D. Kristof, “1492: The Prequel,” in Worlds of History: A Comparative Reader Volume II since 1400, ed. Kevin Reilly (New York: Bedford/St. Martin’s Press, 2017), xx.
Please note that the ‘xx’ is intended for a page #, or page #’s. In other words, every time you make a claim based on information from the text, or reference the text, we must always include the page # (‘s). Citations and page #’s are not just for quotes. They are for showing our readers ‘how we know what we know’.