Learning Goal: I’m working on a sociology question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
For this 2-3 page reflection paper, you need to watch two different videos and respond to the following questions.
Jane Elliot’s “Blue eyes/brown eyes experiment” A Class Divided – Brown Eyes Blue Eyes Experiment – YouTube (Links to an external site.) What did she do and what impact did this have on her students?
- What were the results of her experiment? What kinds of racism/discrimination is she focusing on?
- Do you think this is an effective strategy for teaching about discrimination? Why or why not?
Race: how the racial wealth gap was created (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.)
- How was the Federal Housing Administration directly involved in creating/expanding the racial wealth gap in the US?
- What is redlining and white flight?
- How does this impact our current racial wealth gap?
Taking into account the information from your reading, the recorded lecture and both videos, what’s your take on how best to educate children/youths about the impact race/racism continues to have on our lives?