Learning Goal: I’m working on a management writing question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
Assignment 1: Collective Bargaining Dispute Analysis (Paper)
(25 points). No specific paper length required but you must submit a paper that fully answers all the questions with specifics.
Locate an article describing a collective bargaining dispute that has arisen within two years prior to the due date of this paper. If there is not already a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) then there cannot be a dispute of the terms and conditions of that CBA.
A collective bargaining dispute is a disagreement between an employee(s), generally voiced through their union representatives, and employer(s) regarding the terms of employment. Must have a collective bargaining agreement to have a dispute. This could include disputes regarding conditions of employment, benefits, hours of work, wages to be negotiated during collective bargaining or the implementation of an already agreed upon terms. It could further concern the association or representation of those who negotiate or seek to negotiate the terms or conditions of employment. If the negotiations fail, then the parties generally jointly select a mediator.
The article you chose should be from a newspaper, an academic journal, or a credible online news source (try searching “collective bargaining in the news” and “collective bargaining disputes”). You cannot use any articles related to Virginia teachers. For years the teachers’ union has been fighting for a Collective Bargaining Agreement. VA legislature just recently passed a law allowing the VA teachers to collectively bargain. You cannot use the Virginia teachers’ collective bargaining problem for your article.
The collective bargaining dispute in the article must have occurred in the continental US, Hawaii or Alaska.
Attach the article or provide the link that can be accessed by without me having to pay a fee. If I have to pay to access article in the link provided, which I will not pay, or you have provided an inaccessible link, resulting in my having to search for your article, you will be penalized 1.5pt. penalty.
NOTE: In addition, preview the article and make sure you are able to address each of the 6 questions in the assignment. It is not an acceptable response to state that the question was not addressed in the article or to ignore the question altogether. If a specific question is not addressed in the article, then look for better article.
Use references from the course materials but also outside research will be needed to fully respond to the questions and support your answers to the questions.
The paper must be double-spaced, Times New Roman font, cover page, and APA format with in text citations. [submit as word document not pdf]. Paper must be in narrative format, not bullets. -1pt if fail to comply with these paper requirements.
A. Identify your collective bargaining dispute article with an accessible link in the first paragraph of your paper:
• Using APA guidelines state the proper citation for the article. Requires in-text citations.
When using APA format, follow the author-date method of in-text citation. This means that the author’s last name and the year of publication for the source should appear in the text, like, for example, (Jones, 1998). One complete reference for each source should appear in the reference list at the end of the paper. Make sure you have in-text references for facts stated. Make sure your links for references at the end of your paper are accessible to me. If not -.5pt Paper must be in narrative format, not bullets. [in word document not pdf].
• Late penalties: Paper is due by due date but if there occurs an extraordinary event beyond your control, then you need to contact me as to the reason and then we can discuss a new due date if I agree with your excuse. In every case of an extension, you will be still be penalized 5% [-1.25pts for failing to submit paper by due date and time and -.5pt for each additional day late, no matter the excuse]. There are 25pts in the rubric so if one day late you will lose -1.25pts.
- You must provide a link to the article that can be accessed, without me paying a price, in your first paragraph of your paper. Or you may attach the entire article in separate submission to the assignment’s folder.
B. Respond to each underlined question below in detail, in order provided, and use each underlined question as a separate paragraph heading [You should have 6 separate paragraph headings as well as 6 separate paragraphs, as shown below]: [-2pts if I have to insert the below headings in your paper and or put the questions in the order below.]
1. Discuss the nature of the collective bargaining dispute? Be specific.
[Insert, in this paragraph, the link to article you are using for this paper or you may attach the entire article in separate submission to the assignments folder.]
2. Discuss the underlying causes of the dispute? Be specific.
3. Discuss the economic or ethical pressures has each side attempted to use to prevail in the dispute? Be specific as to the economic pressures and if ethical pressures, why the actions were unethical.
4. Discuss the role played by third parties either trying to influence and or resolve this bargaining dispute? How did the third party try to specifically influence or resolve the dispute. What was the identity of the third party? Be specific.
5. Was the dispute resolved? If so, how was it resolved specifically? Be specific.
6. In retrospect, how could this dispute have been resolved in a more constructive fashion? Be specific. [This question will require research beyond your article.]
- Requirements include:
• Cover Page with Name, Date, and Title of Assignment
• No bullet format in the paper. All narrative.
• Required Headings to separate the sections of the paper
• In-text citations in APA style
• Reference page using APA style